I know this may sound crazy - but right now is a great time to plan for next year’s holiday season. Follow these tips and take stress out of your holiday season.
1. If you like the way your decorations turned out this year, take a picture and create a folder on your computer labeled “Christmas ideas/info”. Or if you prefer, you could print a copy of the picture and store it with your decorations. Next year you will be able to recreate it with no problem. When taking down decorations, be sure to store each section together in plastic storage totes, combining smaller pieces in zippered bags or boxes. Be sure to label the outside of the tote, so you will know which room or area of the house the decorations belong in.
2. Before storing ornaments and other decorations see if there were any pieces you didn't use this year. Donate anything that no longer fits your style, is boken or worn.
3. To extend the life of your ornaments, be sure and pack them away carefully in specialty containers or make your own dividers by using cardboard. Wrap fragile pieces in tissue paper to keep from breaking. Below is a picture of my ornament storage, which I love.
4. Take time to store your Christmas tree lights, garland and ribbons by simply wrapping them around a piece of cardboard. This will keep you from having to deal with tangled-up messes next year.
5. Once you have finished wrapping presents, take a moment to inventory your gift bags, paper, ribbons, gift tags, tape, etc. Make a list of anything you need and take advantage of after Christmas sales.
6. When you receive Holiday cards, jot down any address changes for next year.
Taking a few extra minutes to do things well will always help make life easier, especially during the holidays.
Think about what causes you the most stress during this time of year - you may find a few more things to do now to save time and frustration in the coming Christmas seasons.